Ontario Government Releases Cannabis Retail Store Regulations
Strict regulations established by the Ontario Government include:
- Retailers will not be permitted to allow anyone under the age of 19 to enter their stores. This approach and other regulations were developed to address the risk of youth exposure to the cannabis retail market.
- Specific instances in which applicants will be denied a licence, including cannabis-related criminal offences. Notably, illegal cannabis retailers who were operating after October 17, 2018 are not eligible for Ontario cannabis sales licenses.
- A prohibition on the issuance of a licence to any individual or organization who has an association with organized crime.
- Requirement that individuals or entities applying for an operator licence demonstrate their tax compliance status to show that they are in good standing with the government.
- A requirement for all private recreational cannabis retail storefronts to be stand-alone stores only.
- Individuals with a store authorization, cannabis retail managers and all retail employees will be required to complete the approved training to ensure that any individual who works in the cannabis retail market is trained in the responsible sale of cannabis.